I wish to explain how I write my reviews and why.
I usually start by giving a quick glimpse foreshadowing my thoughts on the game.
Then in the second part I explain the premise in general terms trying to avoid spoilers.
In the third segment I describe things about the game that stood out for me, whether negative or positive. Well most of the time the negative things are more notable.
If you see me going off on tangents talking about my own background and how the game relates to me. That is not my attempt at exhibitionism. and no reason for you to zone out.
You see, in order for you to understand why I like some aspects of a game, you need to know my acquired tastes and biases. Otherwise when I say I liked this or that it will be meaningless to you. As there is no guarantee that my likes and dislikes are overlapping with yours. But if you know my biases you can get much more relevant information about the game even if you vehemently disagree with my assessment.
After the essay part I'll give a short summary of the positives and negatives of the product as bullet points. Occasionally adding short descriptions to the list. As I might not have touched on everything in the essay part that I list here.
Then the final part is the scoring the game based on some metrics. I know some people like to just read the score at the end of reviews without even scan reading the article, I can't do anything about that. But please at least make sure you interpret the score properly. I'm sick and tired of people thinking a 6/10 review means the game is absolute untouchable garbage.
Here is how the overall score I give should be interpreted:
- Absolute shit, avoid at all cost
- Really bad game, no redeeming value at all
- Bad game, that some still might find interesting if they are into the genre
- Worse than average, has some serious flaws, but still might be fun for some
- Completely average game, it does what it advertises and nothing more
- Better than average, good quality game, which shines on a few points
- Good game, that should not be missed if you like the genre
- Very good game, that's a must have
- Great game, that is truly awesome
- Ground breaking, genre re-defining, mind blowing
That's all folks!
/I reserve the right to break my own rules/